Friday, April 1, 2011

Kevin's 2011 Predictions

I figured that I too would throw in my opinion on the predicted final standings for the season.

NL:
East: Phillies
Central: Brewers
West: Giants
Wild: Braves

AL:
East: Red Sox
Central: Twins
West: Angels
Wild: Yankees

World Series:
NL: Phillies
AL: Red Sox

Like Brian said, it is certainly a long season and in 162 games, almost anything can happen. However, if both the Phillies and Red Sox manage to maintain a relatively healthy roster for the length of the season, they should be the front runners in each league.

On a division level, the East in both leagues should be fairly competitive. The Red Sox/Yankees and Phillies/Braves battles should be fierce, but I foresee the Red Sox and Phillies coming out victorious, with the Braves and Yankees taking the Wild Card.

The NL Central is, as usual, most likely going to be a crapshoot. The Brewers, on paper, have the deepest team in my opinion, but the Cardinals should never be counted out even with the loss of Adam Wainwright. I don't see the Reds making another run at the division crown and the Cubs seem to generally be an abyss. As for the Pirates...what is there to say?

I see the AL Central as a one horse race with the Twins coming out on top. They are a solid organization top to bottom and should benefit from the return of closer Joe Nathan. Many forget that he was nearly unhittable before he went down with Tommy John surgery.

The NL West should be its characteristic weak self. The Padres have payroll issues and the Dodgers have the Drama surrounding the divorce of owner Frank McCourt. The Rockies, Giants, and Diamondbacks should likely duke things out for a while, but with the Giants pitching staff, I see them coming out on top.

The AL West was a tough one. The Rangers should still be strong, but lose last year's Ace, Cliff Lee. The A's are also a generally good team and make smart moves. However, I believe the Angels will take this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment